25 April 2016

Who Taught Them This?


Tonight Cohen seemed so grown up to me. There was just another glimpse into the coming years with this kid. I can see he's not going to make it easy, but he's definitely going to make it fun.

He's had a tough couple of days. I'm not sure why - because he's normally happy about it - but over this past week, he has cried and screamed about being left at bedtime, at school, and at nursery. He hugs me so tight and refuses to let go, sobbing over his words. I have to admit, a couple times I held him a little longer than necessary simply because it was nice to feel so loved and needed. He's growing up fast, and he often bids me farewell with a, "bye, mommy," while waving a hand and looking in the other direction.

Tonight he had one of these fits. I nearly fell for it, worrying if something is wrong - he isn't feeling well or he's feeling sad. He so quickly turns his mood though, the second he feels safe from whatever he's trying to avoid. As he's (still, somehow) potty training, I rushed him into the bathroom when he told me he needed to go, mid tears. Suddenly, he was having a ball. He was asking about everything in the room, poking my leg and giggling, almost carrying on a big kid conversation with me. At one point he told me he wanted his water, and asked me to get it from "in my bedroom." He didn't seem upset at all.

Once he was done (and he legitimately did need to go, thank goodness), the fit returned, this time, insisting that he sleep in "daddy's bed."

Where do kids learn these tactics? He has no older siblings to example this behaviour and I doubt he and his friends have the language skills to conspire at school. How great is it that it appears to be an innate human skill... Yet, somehow I'm infinitely proud and love him more than anything.

Oh, and if you're wondering if he ever did get to bed? Yes. I felt defeated, so his father went in with him, and from what I heard from the next room over, Cohen didn't protest at all. Figures.





No comments:

Post a Comment