20 November 2013

We're Having A Baby!



When Nathan and I were first married in May of 2011, we had no intention of having kids for at least seven years. I just couldn't imagine having a baby any time soon! I wanted to enjoy our time together - just the two of us.

Now, don't get me wrong, I did want kids... just not yet. Growing up, I actually thought I would have thirteen kids! Now, I'm hoping I can get to four. 

Nathan absolutely loves kids. I don't think he would have minded if I got pregnant right away (while I think it would have taken me the nine months to come around to the idea). Like the rest of his brothers (he has five), when visiting friends and family, he is often found with the kids, playing as if he were one of them. So it was no surprise that when I mentioned maybe it was time to expand our little family of three, he was immediately on board.

A month after making this life changing decision, I found myself anxious to take a pregnancy test. I tried to hold off as long as possible, but it turns out that wasn't long at all. I was crushed when the result was negative. All day though, I could not shake the feeling that I was indeed pregnant (it may have been mother's intuition, but more likely, I just wanted it to be true).

It turns out that a  few days can make a big difference, as hCG levels double each 48-72 hours in early pregnancy. We decided to wait three days and test again.

I woke up early that third morning (not by choice) and was anxious but nervous to try again. I did the test and we waited. This time, we decided to look together, and as you may have guessed, it was positive! It was very, very faint, but there was a plus sign. We were both ecstatic!

We decided to wait until we were through the first trimester before telling anyone. There were a couple of exceptions, but I think we did a good job of keeping it a secret (although, it did pain me to "lie" to so many people).

When I was about 13 weeks along, after telling close friends and family, we made a public post on Facebook. See our announcement video here.

I have been truly blessed to have such an easy first four months of pregnancy. I am tired all the time but very little nausea. I have had no weird cravings (so far, I mostly want burgers and fries) to report, but will keep you posted! 


1 comment:

  1. YAY! So excited to meet this little baby in a few months! Sacha's going to be a Mama!

    ReplyDelete