13 January 2014

Recipe: Carrot Salad

We haven't been grocery shopping in a few days, so the ingredients in our fridge are getting sparse. I found half a bag of carrots and decided to make one of mine and Nathan's favourite salads!

You will need:
  • 1/2 - 1 bag of carrots
  • half a lemon
  • 2-4 tbs of mayonnaise
  • salt
  • pepper
  • Aromat



I started by shredding the carrots with a vegetable shredder/grater. Ours is a hand-me-down from my Nonna by a Swiss company called Zyliss. It's old but seems to do the trick (with some difficulty, as the suction to keep it still no longer works). It's a great kitchen tool as requires very little clean up - simply rinse with hot water and set aside to air dry! While ours is quite old, Zyliss has a couple of new model on their website. Maybe one day I will upgrade to one of theirs, this Kitchenaid stand mixer attachment or this Cuisinart electric version. For now, our bright orange one will do!




Once I shredded enough carrots to fill a salad bowl, I squeezed about half a lemon's worth of juice over it and mixed. Next, I mixed in about 2 tablespoons of mayonnaise and seasoned with Aromat, salt, and pepper to taste. That's it! This is one of the simplest recipes, but I think it tastes delicious.


It's not the most beautiful dish, but it's tasty!


As with many salads, the flavours develop over time, so I like to make it ahead of time and keep it in the fridge for a few hours or overnight.

I grew up eating this salad (usually in the Summers) and now make it for my husband and I (all year round). Soon I'll be making it for our little one as well! If you like carrots, give it a try and let me know how you like it!




1 comment:

  1. My first comment disappeared? I love all of the orange going on! I want to try this. It looks so healthy!

    ReplyDelete